Saturday 5 November 2016

Design Brief


After researching the American new wave in cinema from the 1960s to the 1980s, I found that the directors of this era of film disregarded all rules of cinema from before and just filmed how they wanted to get their final result. During my research I focused on The Graduate and Taxi Driver and found that both films share similar conventions had had very heavy focal points on the context of the period of which they were filmed; Vietnam War, social acceptance.

I plan to film in very busy areas such as cities like Birmingham where there are always a lot of people around which would be captured in my shots without being aware they are being extras in my film, giving my film a feeling of verisimilitude and more like the New Wave Films of the 60s. I aim for my film to also mirror American New Wave in the way that they tend to lack a complete narrative, include a lot of jump cuts and hand held camera; again adding a sense of realism. I intend to film at a local fireworks display which will hopefully break up the feeling of any structure to the film created by any clips from the built up city of Birmingham. I will be adding music over my film in hopes that I don't have to worry about the diegetic noise of the city and fireworks that may be picked up; also I hope that without the diegetic sound it will make the narrative more ambiguous and unknown.

As for camera and lighting techniques I plan to use natural light for all outdoor shots, again for the sense of verisimilitude and to show the influence of the American New Wave and its techniques. I will use a range of camera angles and shot types to add depth so my film isn't all on one level.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Video Evaluation

I started this unit by researching music video theories (Andrew Goodwin and Carol Vernallis) and analysing 4 music videos of my choice. Th...